AITAF Veteran Internship Program
About the Veteran Internship Program (VIP)
AITAF is committed to providing work and learning opportunities to veterans currently enrolled full-time in a college or university. By offering a summer housing stipend comparable to what a student might receive as part of the GI Bill, AITAF aims to create a rigorous, competitive program that offers a unique opportunity for a summer intern to relocate to New York City for the duration of the internship.
Core Program Components
- Duration: 10-12 weeks (Spring, Summer and Fall)
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
- Hours per week: Summer – 30 hours
- Fall, Spring – approx 10 hours
- Compensation: Summer – $1000 weekly stipend (comparable to the NY GI Bill)
- Spring/Fall – Hourly minimum wage
PLEASE NOTE: We are currently seeking applicants for Spring 2020.
There are 3 core components to the program structure:
- Engaging in AITAF's work by playing a key role in the daily activities of a small non-profit, and assisting with external events on military bases and other facilities
- Completion and oversight of at least one major internal project that enables AITAF to enact our mission more effectively
- Networking with AITAF's corporate partners and meeting with key executives in the veteran recruiting space
- Application Submission:
- 500 word essay: How did the arts serve you while in and/or out of the military?
- Three (3) references: Name, Position, Organization, Phone Number and Email
- First Round Interview with an AITAF team member (by phone)
- Final Round Interview with an AITAF senior team member (by phone or in person)
Who Are We Looking For?
We seek inquisitive, resourceful, and outgoing individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit. A passion for understanding the positive effects the arts have on veterans, pursuing innovations, and promoting the social good through the arts is crucial.
- Currently enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or graduate university program.
- Mission-aligned, self-starter, and able to thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication with a commitment to high-quality output.
- Ability to quickly develop relationships with other veterans and veteran coordinators.
- Record of academic excellence. Smart, logical, and creative thinker.
As an organization committed to serving veterans throughout the world, AITAF seeks to produce the highest quality arts programming for free. We put a high value on hiring student veterans with diverse experiences, backgrounds, and skills because we know that when it comes to solving problems with uncertain solutions, heterogeneous teams produce better work. In order to best serve veterans, we must engage in empathetic inquiry and rigorous analysis of the veteran identity. These practices depend on a team with a wide array of knowledge, built through both formal training and lived experience. In constructing our team, we look for talented and hard-working student veterans who share our mission and core values, and who can expand the perspectives and skills of AITAF.