The Bridge Award for Screenwriting
HISTORY OF THE BRIDGE AWARD FOR SCREENWRITING
The Bridge Award for Screenwriting is open to all persons who are currently serving or have served in the United States military, regardless of age, experience, or background. This Award seeks to identify and encourage talented screenwriters/filmmakers from the military community. First time screenwriters are encouraged to apply, and the Award is particularly interested in elevating and celebrating underrepresented voices and stories. The Award gives aspiring filmmakers with a military background the resources and mentorship to advance their visions and refine their work. It encourages members of the military community to conceive of themselves as artists and to tell their important and powerful stories.
This Award was created as a cinematic corollary to AITAF’s successful Bridge Award for Playwriting, a prize launched in 2018 in honor of AITAF’s 10th anniversary.
- A cash prize of $10,000.
- An awards ceremony celebrating the winning screenplay and its author(s), with invited guests, followed by a Q&A with the screenwriter(s).
- Access to mentorship and/or professional development opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submissions will be accepted from December 1, 2020 until January 1, 2021.
- Overview of Submission Requirements:
- One full-length, completed screenplay meeting all of the requirements set forth in the Official Rules (below). Entrants must submit the screenplay as a single PDF file with the title in the following format: "Title of Film.PDF."
- A brief statement (not exceeding 250 words per entrant/screenwriter) describing each entrant's prior and current military service, including dates of service, military branch, and foreign countries served in, if applicable.
- To submit your application, visit here.
Meet Nancy Meyers, the Final Selecting Judge
NANCY MEYERS (Writer / Director / Producer) is a trailblazing filmmaker who, as a first-rate writer, director and producer, has created a body of work focusing on the female experience with her exceptionally literate and sophisticated comedies. Tapping into the very heart of modern relationships, she chronicles women and men, at work and in love, in a singular fashion that makes each film instantly recognizable as a Nancy Meyers movie.