The Bridge Award for Playwriting
HISTORY AND MISSION
The Bridge Award for Playwriting is open to all persons who are currently serving or have served in the United States military, regardless of age, experience, or background. This Award seeks to identify and encourage talented playwrights from the military community. First time playwrights are encouraged to apply, and the Award is particularly interested in elevating and celebrating underrepresented voices and stories. The Award gives aspiring playwrights with a military background the resources and mentorship to advance their visions and refine their work. It will encourage members of the military community to conceive themselves as artists and to tell their important and powerful stories.
The Bridge Award for Playwriting launched in 2018 in honor of AITAF’s 10th anniversary. The Bridge Award for Playwriting has thus far recognized three exciting and powerful winning plays, War Stories by Vinnie Lyman, Tampons, Dead Dogs, and Other Disposable Things by Shairi Engle, and Local Gods, by Anton Sattler, all of which have subsequently received development attention from other artists and producing agencies.
- A cash prize of $10,000.
- An awards ceremony celebrating the winning play and its author, with invited guests, followed by a Q&A with the playwright.
- AITAF will produce a reading of the winning work.
- AITAF will provide the playwright with access to mentorship and/or professional development opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submissions will be accepted from December 1, 2021 until February 1, 2022.
- Overview of Submission Requirements:
- One full-length, completed play meeting all of the requirements set forth in the Official Rules (below). Entrants must submit the screenplay as a single PDF file with the title in the following format: "Title of Play.PDF."
- A brief statement (not exceeding 250 words per entrant/playwright) describing each entrant's prior and current military service, including dates of service, military branch, and foreign countries served in, if applicable.
LOCAL GODS by Anton Sattler (U.S. Marine Corps),
2020 Bridge Award Winner